Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:25:04 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reset screen hardware?

On Mon, Aug 18, 1997 at 08:45:26AM +0200, Søren Schmidt wrote:
>> There is, BTW, a potential problem with the "call the BIOS" approach
>> (which I consider marginally more of a hack, since the driver doesn't
>> know what's going on): what if the driver has set a different mode for
>> the board, like 50 line or some such?  That would have to be redone
>> after the BIOS call.
>
> Sigh, the call BIOS is the only option we've got, (well besides making
> it possible to use win95/NT drivers, which is a HUGE task if at all
> feasible).

I think the BIOS calls are bad enough without incorporating all the
Microslop stuff.  To do it halfway right, we probably need to reset
the board and then replay any changes that the driver has made since
then.  Obviously, the first step is to reset the board.

> There is no problem in using the BIOS (except that we dont have the
> code to do it, yet). Syscons allways know exactly where it has its
> video card, except in the case of X where the app reprograms
> the card. Now when we have the BIOS calls working syscons takes over the
> task of modifying the cards regs etc. via the BIOS, and the apps are
> denied acces to the ports. Then syscons always knows where and how
> the card is and can restore whatever mode it (and of cause the BIOS)
> understand.

Yes, it would be even nicer if we could get the X server to call
syscons to set the registers...

> Pretty simple actually, once you have the means to call the BIOS...
>
> Now, who volounteers the diffs ??

OK, I'll take a look at it.  Mike sent me the URL
ftp://sumatra.americantv.com/pub/vm86-970814.tar.gz; anything else I
should look at?

Greg