Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:59:06 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <des@des.no>
Cc:        Rob <bitabyss@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, "Tedm@Toybox. Placo. Com" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Subject:   RE: Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

> "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> writes:

> > More likely, Microsoft was afraid that a portable browser could=20
> > become the
> > platform of the future, making the operating system no longer=20
> > particularly
> > important.
=20
> No.  At the time (1995), Microsoft had no clue about what the Internet
> was and how important it would become.  That was the year they =
launched
> their own dialup service modeled after AOL, and the year _The Road
> Ahead_, in which Bill Gates's ghost writer predicted that MSN would
> become the dominant computer network, was released (read the original,
> not the later revised edition which papered over the worst blunders).
> Microsoft expected to end up in control of client, network and =
content.
> It wasn't until 1996 that they did an about-face and bet, if not the
> farm, then at least a barn or two on the Internet.

So you're saying that long before Microsoft saw any importance to the =
Internet, they felt that it was important to give away IE so they could =
extort money from companies like Verisign to get their keys included? If =
you don't see the Internet and ecommerce as important, why would you =
think anyone would pay millions of dollars to get their key in?

In any event, your argument is contradicted by the historical record, =
from US v. Microsoft:

""Certain statements of Microsoft executives proffered by plaintiffs =
indicate that the company recognized the impending danger. For example, =
Microsoft CEO Bill Gates stated that the Netscape/Java combination =
threatens to "commoditize" the operating system. See B. Gates 5/26/95 =
e-mail (PI Ex. 2). Following a 1997 meeting with Mr. Gates, Microsoft's =
Ben Slivka described Java as "the biggest threat to Microsoft" and wrote =
to Mr. Gates that "clearly the work the Java team is doing has hit a raw =
nerve with you." SJ Opp'n Ex. 60. And in an essay posted on Microsoft's =
Web site, Mr. Gates recognized the potential of Netscape's browser to =
"become a de facto platform for software development, ultimately =
replacing Windows as the mainstream set of software standards." States' =
PI Ex. 3. Other Microsoft executives recognized browsers as "alternative =
platform[s] to Windows," B. Silverberg Internet Platforms & Tools Div. =
Mtg. Agenda (emphasis in original) (PI Ex. 33), that might eventually =
"obsolete" Windows. B. Chase 4/4/97 e-mail (PI Ex. 15). One Vice =
President warned that "[t]he situation is threatening our operating =
systems and desktop applications share at a fundamental level," and =
declared: "Netscape pollution must be eradicated." J. Raikes 8/13/96 =
memo (PI Ex. 34).""

DS