Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 22:05:13 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

On 07-Oct-97 Chad R. Larson wrote:
>> On 07-Oct-97 Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>> >Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net> writes:

Actually, Richard Wackerbarth wrote the following, not me.

>> >I guess we could do the following:
>> >
>> >Before release:
>> >2.2 (9710061501)
>> >
>> >At release:
>> >2.2.0 (RELEASE)
>> >
>> >After release:
>> >2.2.0 (9710061703)
>> >
>> >Another Release:
>> >2.2.2 (RELEASE)
>> >
>> >And then:
>> >2.2.2 (9710061905)
>> >
>> >That way, anything other than a release would have a timestamp and the
>> >number of the previous release from which it was derived.
>
>As someone pointed out, this still doesn't make clear the distinction of
>SUP against 2.2-CURRENT and 2.2-STABLE (something my earlier suggestion
>also failed to do).

2.2-CURRENT? Thats a new branch to me...  Unless you are speaking
hypothetically of a branch which has not yet had its first release, which
in that case, is still taken into account by the above example.

>I'll re-suggest an alpha-numeric counter instead of date/time, both for
>economy (fewer characters) and to avoid debate about time zones and
>daylight savings.  But I'd add a character that denotes which CVS tag
>was used to retrieve the sources.  Obvious characters would be 'C' (for
>current), 'R' (for release) and 'S' (for stable).  The other 23
>characters could (and should) be assigned to any other tags accessable
>to non-core team members.

What better alphanumeric incremented counter than time itself?  Sure, its
a few more numbers, but it is constantly being incremented, is pretty
fine-grained, and much more informational.  And time-zones aren't a problem
when its the server supplying the timestamp, not the client.

>So, we'd see something like this:
>
>2.2-CAB
>2.2-SCD
>2.2.5-R
>
>       -crl

It'd work, but... think of all the nasty letter combinations that will
crop up. :-)  Not to mention that the letter-combinations will be
eventually recycled, possibly causing more confusion.  It would take a
century for the current two-digit-year timestamps to recycle.  Make it a
standard four-digit year and we won't have to worry about changing it
again until the year 10000. :-)

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net