Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 15:32:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Paul DuBois <dubois@primate.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1 on Dell OptiPlex 180

I have a Dell OptiPlex Pentium Pro 180, and and trying to install
FreeBSD 2.1 on it.  My question is this: the machine has an EIDE CD-ROM,
but when I boot from floppy, the install process says it doesn't find a
CD-ROM when it gets to the part about selecting an install medium.

I notice the manual states that the IDE CD-ROM support should be considered
alpha quality.  Should I simply consider what I'm seeing as a manifestation
of that, or has anyone gotten the CD to be seen on one of these machines?
If so, did you do anything special to achieve this?

I've gotten around the problem by copying stuff off the CD-ROM in
Windows to a DOS partition and installing that way, but I'm wondering
if there's a way to get the install process to see my CD-ROM.  Is
the IDE support better in 2.1.5?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu