Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:48:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
To:        omestre <omestre@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: soft updates

 --- omestre <omestre@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> wrote: >
>  Hello all...
>  In this moment, i have one linux server to provides me NFS
> sharing...
> Why? Because i need xfs instant recovery feature, and the
> performance.
>  I don't know very well about soft updates, and i would like have
> only
> BSD systems... Somebody knows if i could and how to install FreeBSD
> with
> xfs? or how can i create a ufs filesystem with soft updates for big
> volumes (+300GB) and NFS services?
>
>  Thanks!
>
> omestre@sdf.lonestar.org

XFS (also ReiserFS and ext3fs) are GPL code (in Linux), so there won't
be any direct port of these (the same is true of ext2fs though, but it
was probably reimplemented under a BSD license). You would have to port
them over yourself to build FreeBSD with them. Ext3fs is probably a
good possibility for a journaling file system for FreeBSD, since it
supposedly reuses a lot of the organization of ext2fs with some
features added on (I don't know how well these journaling file systems
perform compared to each other and nthings like ffs and I have seen
conflicting results/claims). It should be easier to implement ext3fs in
FreeBSD since ext2fs is already in FreeBSD.

The only logging/journaling file system available for *BSD that I am
aware of is LFS, which I don't think is either stable or fast. I don't
know how big a filesystem FFS+softdeps will support, but soft updates
is not completly stable although I think it can be used with reasonable
assurance it won't explode (I have). FFS on FreeBSD can support +300GB
file systems I think, but whether soft updates will work correctly (or
at least as correctly as it does in smaller file systems) at these
sizes is unknown to me.