Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 13:44:51 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Tony Clark <tonyc@compnews.co.uk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq Contura 486 laptop

> > I would like to install FreeBSD on my laptop cause i need a much much more
> > stable operating system that Windows 95/OS etc etc....
>
> OK.  Our experience with FreeBSD on laptops is that it sucks battery like
> anything.  You can't spin down the hard disk to save power, otherwise
> the system goes nuts. :(  We have a 500mb disk split with a DOS partition
> and use that for extended usage.

I'm working on the generic APM support right now (I just committed my
final patches to the APM code.  However, there are still some changes I
want to make from the Nomad's to work-around some other buggy BIOS
implementations.)

> > Modem:-
> > 	PCMCIA Worldport Miracom 14400 (generic AT command set modem)
>
> Possibly supported.  I'm not aware of what the current pccard support is.

I'm still working on integrating the Nomad's pccard support in our tree.
It's getting closer all the time, but there's still work to do.  The
user-land code is a real mess, but I just ordered the PC-CARD
specification from the PCMCIA orginization so that should help.  (Ouch,
$350 was a bit steep. :( )

Nate