Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 16:11:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Willoughby <steve@ichips.intel.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   parallel port problem on FreeBSD ThinkPad -- help?

I have a device I designed and built, which is hooked up to a computer's
parallel port.  The circuit works flawlessly on one kind of system (a
Toshiba laptop), but on another (an IBM ThinkPad 600E) the parallel port
refuses to go.  FreeBSD 3.3 is running on both systems.  On the ThinkPad,
it just says the device is busy.  I assume it's not seeing a "ready"
status so won't let me open /dev/lpt0?

Below is the way I'm interfacing to the parallel port.  Can someone more
familiar with these things see where I'm overlooking something here?

PARALLEL PORT           DEVICE

!FAULT     15-----------+5V
 SELECT    13-----------+5V
 ERROR     12-----------GND
 GROUND 18-25-----------GND

!ACK       10----,
 BUSY      11----+------> one-shot circuit, which pulls BUSY and !ACK high
               ,--------> for 10mS when !STROBE goes low (enough time for
               |          the circuit to act on the transmitted data)

!STROBE     1--+--------|>------->
 D7         9-----------|>------->
 D6         8-----------|>------->
 D5         7-----------|>------->
 D4         6-----------|>------->   (rest of circuit)
 D3         5-----------|>------->
 D1         3-----------|>------->
                       cmos
                       buffers

Thanks in advance,

Steve Willoughy
(Not asking or speaking for Intel, this is just a hobby thing...)

____________Steve Willoughby, Intel PMD Engineering Computing_________________
Stallman: "God told me I programmed the best text editor in the world!"
Torvalds: "God told *me* I programmed the best operating system in the world!"
Knuth: "Wait, wait -- I never said that."                      -- Erik Meltzer