Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 08:38:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        cheese@websource.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buggy (?) 3C509

Mark Cheeseman is responsible for:
> I'm considering changing the NICs in a few of our machines from
> NE2000 clones to 3C509s, but a few of the docs on www.freebsd.org and
> LINT note that the ep driver is 'buggy'.
>
> Can somebody shed any light on specifics (or indeed, if the bugs are
> still there)?
>
> I need to increase Ethernet throughput on these machines, and thought
> I'd try the '509s since I have a few ot them. Suggestions for other
> quick  ISA cards are also welcome, but I'd like to use the 509 if
> possible.
>
> Thanks,
> mark

I tried to use one of those guys for a while;  only about 5-10%
of ICMP Ping packets made it.  I tried to install via NFS with
this card from another machine on our network and I got transfer
rates of about 1KB/sec., so I used a null modem cable instead,
which was at least twice as fast.  I then went out and bought a
cheepo NE2000-compatible PCI card which works great and cost
about 40% less than the 3Com ISA card.

I think they may be replacing or fixing the driver for the
2.2-RELEASE, but I have no proof of that.