Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:08:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Can anyone explain...?

Garrett Wollman writes:
> <<On Sun, 24 Nov 1996 09:58:37 +0100 (MET), grog@lemis.de said:
>
>> Of course it makes sense.  How many time zones are there?
>
> wollman@khavrinen(8)$ wc -l zone.tab
>      356 zone.tab
>
> ...and that's not counting about ten more for changes in Chile,
> Argentina, Mongolia, Canada, and Kazakhstan which are coming next
> week.
>
>> For that matter, take GMT and UTC.  What are the time zone
>> abbreviations for Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and Indonesia, all of
>> which are UTC+8 and don't have summer time?
>
> Singapore Mon Nov 25 04:07:23 SGT 1996
> Bangkok Mon Nov 25 03:07:23 ICT 1996
> Jakarta Mon Nov 25 03:07:23 JAVT 1996
> Kuala_Lumpur Mon Nov 25 04:07:23 MYT 1996
>
> (Note that your assertion is incorrect: Indonesia has three time
> zones; Malaysia has two, although they currently observe the same
>> 08:00 offset even though LMT in Kuala Lumpur is +06:47; Singapore
> changed to +08:00 in 1982; and Thailand has been on +07:00 since 1920.)

What's LMT?  Are you indicating that it's 13 minutes off the time
zone?  Or are you referring to geographical time?

>> But you're changing it from what every other system does.  Sorry, I
>> believe this is just plain *wrong*.
>
> No, I'm sorry.  I'm changing it from what certain older systems using
> obsolete version of the Arthur Olson timezone database used, to what
> all newer systems using the current version of the Arthur Olson
> timezone database use.

Ah.  That's the first time you've said that.  My big problem was that
I thought you were doing something unilateral.

> If you don't like that, take it up with tz@elsie.nci.nih.gov and be
> prepared for a loud groan followed by the words ``Oh no, not
> again!''.  Frankly I think you should stop whinging about it.
>
>> Have you thought of coordinating this with other "vendors"?
>
> No, I am taking it directly from THE ONE SINGLE VENDOR of this
> information.  Again, if you don't like it, take it up with the
> maintainers.

Well, I don't like it, but there are plenty of things I don't like.
If this is the way the industry is going, I retract my complaint.

Greg