Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 07:34:13 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Japanese input?

At 18:12 2002/01/04 -0600, Dave Glowacki wrote:
>We have a Japanese high-school student staying with us through
>June, so I've been working on getting Japanese language support
>on my FreeBSD system.  I built and installed all the Japanese
>KDE ports and browsing Japanese web pages works well.
>
>Input, however has been a bit more of a problem.  I installed
>the kinput2-canna+sj3+freewnn port because that seemed like
>the most inclusive port.
>
>After starting the kinput2 program, 'ps auxww' shows it running
>and 'cannastat' indicates that it's a client of the cannaserver.
>
>Typing Shift+Space does nothing.
>
>I'm at a lose as to what is wrong.  Does anybody have any
>debugging tips or an idea of what I've done wrong?

This is more of a me too type answer, I'm afraid.  There's a page on the
kde website that might be of help, if you haven't seen it.

http://freekde.org/article.php?sid=5&mode=nested&order=0

There's also a very detailed page, although more oriented towards SuSE Linux at

http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/node1.html

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

>HTH a little at least

Scott Robbins
PS, if you do get it working, please post how you solved the problems.