Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 16:51:01 +0200
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java port behavior ideas

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 07:20:49AM +0930, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > Uhm, what about multiple versions of the same library? For example, a lot of
> > software comes with a xalan.jar file. And they all use just that specific
> > version x.y.z that doesn't work with x.y.w....
>
> Thinking more about this.  If we assume that a command line -classpath or
> the CLASSPATH environment variable is searched before the standard
> locations, then my suggestion doesn't introduce any complexities which
> don't already exist.  In this scheme, the xalan port would bung its jar
> into jre/lib/ext.  Software which wants a private copy presumably has
> a shell script to run it which includes setting CLASSPATH appropriately
> (if it doesn't then there are already problems).  Similarly, if you want
> to develop with another version then set your CLASSPATH appropriately.
>
> Naturally, I need to verify my assumption before my argument holds true :)

Unfortunately, jre/lib/ext is searched *before* CLASSPATH. This is the
problem. If something is put in jre/lib/ext a user cannot override it. I
ask you to not go for putting ports in jre/lib/ext in the official
FreeBSD ports (if people want to do it privately, go ahead :)).

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/index.html
(Click on "Overview")

"When the VM is searching for a class of a particular name, it will first
look among the bootstrap classes. If it fails to find the desired class
there, it will next look for the class among any installed optional
packages. If it doesn't find the class among either the bootstrap
classes or the installed optional packages, the VM will search among any
download optional packages referenced by the application or applet. The
VM only searches the class path if it fails to find a class among the
bootstrap classes or optional package classes."

(optional packages = jre/lib/ext)

Markus

--

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/