Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:01:17 -0500
From:      "M. Poulin" <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Audio CD's won't play through the sound card.

Hello,

I have recently recompiled my kernel with support for my sound card (sb16).

It seems to work (at least I was able to hear the little .au file that I redirected to /dev/audio), but I still can't get the CDs to play through the sound card.

When I try either cdplayer or xcd, I am able to plug a headset into the CD-Rom drive and hear the music through it, but the music refuses to come out of my sound card.

If I boot in Windoze (I have a dual-boot system) there is no problem playing CDs through the same sound card; therefore the hardware is not defective in any way.

I am also unable to play .mp3's via x11amp, so there may be more to my problem than I am anticipating.  I'm not at my home computer right now, so I can't tell you the exact error that it gives.

Can anyone help me with this?

Also, is there a good comprehensive site on sound cards / multimedia for FreeBSD?  I've searched the FAQ, Handbook, and a few tutorials, but there doesn't seem to be much in-depth info in this area, unless I am totally missing something.

Thanks in advance,

MP.