Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 13:27:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, plm@xs4all.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

> Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > Is 'bc' used by anything else, for example?  Yet it's a useful thing to
> > > have.  So is perl, so is Tcl, so are a number of other things.
> >
> > I thought the justification for bs was the same as the justification
> > for sh: POSIX 1003.2.
>
> ... so we should aspire to minimal conformance to a standard which embraces
> a consistent level of mediocrity?
>
> ... or is conformance to the standard meant to be a guarantee that the simple
> things will work as expected, so that stress can be spent on things more
> rewarding?

A standard is a bar.  Increasing standardization raises the bar.

If you expect OS conformance with a standard when you code for the
OS, it raises the baseline for what you can expect to be implemented
consistently fom system to system.

So OS's should always exceed conformance requirements and applications
should always expect only minimal compliance.  When enough OS's exceed
requirements in the same way, you can change the standard, and the
applcation writers can move up their baseline.

The big success of Win32 is that it isn't very multiplatform, so you
can code right to the line without a lot of wasted effort.  You can
also have a defacto conformance, which drastically raises the baseline.
This is why Windows is so popular, and why it's so hard to emulate:
there are a lot of things that are assumed to be below the baseline
that realy don't belong there in a coherent design.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.