Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:19:31 -0700
From:      Sarwat Husain <sarwat@alpinenetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp-unix@isp-unix.com
Subject:   NIS client setup ??

Hi,

I've been trying to setup an NIS client under FreeBSD 2.2.6
but unsuccessful, well kind of.  It seems like every thing
works, meaning :
# ypwhich
gives the NIS servers name

# rpcinfo -p
gives
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100005    3   udp   1012  mountd
    100005    3   tcp   1022  mountd
    100005    1   udp   1012  mountd
    100005    1   tcp   1022  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100024    1   udp   1000  status
    100024    1   tcp   1021  status
    100007    2   udp    898  ypbind
    100007    2   tcp   1019  ypbind

# ypcat passwd
gives the password file from the NIS server

# ypcat hosts
gives the hosts file on from the NIS server

I can finger other users on the network too but I just
cannot seem to login as a network user. We have two Digital
Unix machines acting as the NIS primary and backup servers,
several SCO and linux boxes acting as NIS clients without
any problems. Our unix "guru" gave up too saying that it has
do with the login process cause everything else looks OK.
Please HELP !!

Also, we are planning on cutting over to FreeBSD replacing
all of the linux boxes if NFS performance proves to be
better than Linux's. Do you know what implementation of NFS,
FreeBSD uses ?

Thank you so much in advance
Russell

PS. Oh yes, I checked all of the sources on the 'NET', man
pages etc and seems like that the information given there is
identical to the procedure I've followed :
=========================rc.conf============================

nis_client_enable="YES"         # We're an NIS client (or
NO).
nis_client_flags="-s -S domain-la,brain,platform" # Flags to
ypbind (if enabled).
nis_ypset_enable="YES"          # Run ypset at boot time (or
NO).
nis_ypset_flags="brain"         # Flags to ypset (if
enabled).
nis_server_enable="NO"          # We're an NIS server (or
NO).
nis_server_flags=""             # Flags to ypserv (if
enabled).
nis_ypxfrd_enable="NO"          # Run rpc.ypxfrd at boot
time (or NO).
nis_ypxfrd_flags=""             # Flags to rpc.ypxfrd (if
enabled).
nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"      # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot
time (or NO).
nis_yppasswdd_flags=""          # Flags to rpc.yppasswdd (if
enabled).

=======================passwd==============================
root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:
daemon:*:1:1:Owner of many system
processes:/root:/nonexistent
operator:*:2:20:System &:/usr/guest/operator:/bin/csh
bin:*:3:7:Binaries Commands and Source,,,:/:/nonexistent
games:*:7:13:Games pseudo-user:/usr/games:/nonexistent
news:*:8:8:News Subsystem:/:/nonexistent
man:*:9:9:Mister Man Pages:/usr/share/man:/nonexistent
uucp:*:66:66:UUCP
pseudo-user:/var/spool/uucppublic:/usr/libexec/uucp/uucico
xten:*:67:67:X-10 daemon:/usr/local/xten:/nonexistent
pop:*:68:6:Post Office Owner:/nonexistent:/nonexistent
nobody:*:65534:65534:Unprivileged
user:/nonexistent:/nonexistent
ftp:*:14:5:Anonymous FTP Admin:/var/ftp:/nonexistent
russellt:*:1001:1001:Russell
Husain:/usr/home/russell:/usr/local/bin/bash
+::::::
=====================group=================================
wheel:*:0:root,sarwat
daemon:*:1:daemon
kmem:*:2:root
sys:*:3:root
tty:*:4:root
operator:*:5:root
mail:*:6:
bin:*:7:
man:*:9:
games:*:13:
staff:*:20:root
guest:*:31:root
uucp:*:66:
xten:*:67:xten
dialer:*:68:
network:*:69:
users:*:1001:
nogroup:*:65533:
nobody:*:65534:
+:::

I did a vipw to modify the master.passwd file and added
+:::::::::, exited out and when check the passwd file it had
+:*::: so I got rid of the *. Is that OK ?
127.0.0.1               localhost.domain-us.com localhost
172.16.158.35           ns1
172.16.158.1            platform
172.16.158.192          cgate
172.16.158.195          axyal