Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:17:28 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

This was crossposted to too many lists, reply-to set to a useful subset.

> FWIW, the "recovery procedure" they allude to is to use their
> recovery CDROM, which will basically repartition and reinstall the
> default software that came with the machine.  I'll guess that they
> don't recommend specific recovery instructions (and refer only to
> "various utilities") as a hold harmless measure, since the
> recovery CD will effectively blow away any user data on the drive,
> and they don't want to be held responsible for that.

Actually, the "recovery procedure" involves removing the harddisk, since
the BIOS code in question that fails does so before the boot process
starts, and with a FreeBSD partition on the disk, you never get to boot
at all.

This has been discussed on -mobile already, and any interested party is
encouraged to consult the archives.