Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:39:48 -0400
From:      "NO DATA" <anorak@topsecret.net>
To:        "Rusty" <irisinc@gci.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   (vi!) RE: Editors??

You'll limit yourself.  What happens when you need to edit a file on a
machine without PICO?  I'm not religious about it (and I don't want to
start/participate in a flame war either), but I've found that the
US$6.95 vi Editor Pocket Reference from O'reilly was the most helpful
of all of the books on my shelf.  After about two weeks of editing in
just vi it's all so very simple now.  I've pulled down one more
barrier.  And now I can deftly edit any file on practically any *nix
machine I have access to.  You'll *never* get that with PICO.  Even ee
which comes with FBSD isn't uinversal (although a heck of a lot easier
than vi).

If you just want to set up the best network, fine .. but if you ever
plan on applying those skills outside your immediate realm, consider
learnig to use the tools that you know will actually be at your
disposal when it counts.