Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:06:27 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>
To:        Marcelo Carvalho <carvalho@soe.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing chapter

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:42:01AM -0700, Marcelo Carvalho wrote:
> 	I'm currently trying to find information of how to modify and
> compile the kernel in FreeBSD. Apparently, you guys have a mistake in the
> main page of the handbook. I found a "chapter 23" about debbuging the
> kernel that is not included in the table of contents. Furthermore, if you
> go forward, clicking on the "next" link, you end up at the chapter 22
> (???).

  Uhm,  That chapter is in the process of being moved to the
Developer's Handbook, since this information is a little out of
scope for the Handbook-proper.  I'm not sure where you are seeing this
on the table of contents though.  If I go to
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook there is no Chapter 23 present, which
is correct.

> 	I would like to take the opportunity and ask more information on
> kernel debugging. I'm supposed to change the files under /sys/netinet and
> I have no idea on how to get started. In other words, what are the
> procedures, after changing some files, to compile the kernel? Do I have to
> create a new kernel just because I changed some files in the netinet
> directory?

  For the time being you can get a copy of the Handbook with this
Chapter 23 from :

http://docs.freebsd.org/handbook/en/4.3R/

  This is a copy of the Handbook as it shipped with FreeBSD 4.3, which
contains the information you are looking for.

  Sorry for the confusion,

	- Murray