Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:38:03 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Phantom mail in local queue

> Root keeps getting this fanmail from the system:
>
> Mail in local queue:
>                 Mail Queue (1 request)
> --Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient------------
> CAA18526* (no control file)
>
> Yet /var/spool/mqueue is empty and sendmail has no outstanding
> requests. So what queue might this be?
>
> Tried to find files by that name:
>
> root:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf# find / -name "*CAA18526*" -print
> root:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf#
>
> but to no avail.

You don't say when you get this mail, but I'm guessing it's from
the daily cron jobs -- if so, the mail item in the queue is the
actual item of mail that you're reading.  It's no longer in the
queue when you go looking for it, because the cron job has now
finished and you have the mail in your inbox.

> What and where are these mails it complains about. How can I get
> prevent this from occurring all the time?

Unless I've misunderstood, you don't really get them "all the
time" but just once a day.  There's nothing wrong and you can't
"fix" it unless you ditch sendmail in favour of another MTA.
But this would have to be the most feeble reason to change MTAs.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>