Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        "Drew J. Weaver" <drew.weaver@thenap.com>
Subject:   Re: inetd on BSD urgent.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Drew J. Weaver wrote:

> pop     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/tcpd
  ^                                             ^
  ^                                             ^
Make sure that service exists.                  ^
                                                ^
This is the command to run     ---------------- ^
Make sure it is the correct path.

> /usr/local/lib/popper qpopper -c -C -R -F -S

And this is the command (with its arguments) that tcpd will run (if it is
okay with tcpd).

As you can see, you should not have "qpopper" as an argument for popper.

And make sure you have the correct path to popper.

> That is the command I am using in inetd.conf to call qpopper, it works on my
> 2 linux servers but for some reason inetd under bsd completely ignores
> everything after the qpopper is this standard? Is there a work around for
> this?

I can see how this possible could work -- unless popper doesn't mind about
invalid argument.

Anyways, tcpd and inetd should complain (via log files) if there are
problems. (Also, be sure to tell inetd with a HUP when you update its
configs.)

Good luck,

Jeremy C. Reed

                  BSD Resources -- http://bsd.reedmedia.net/