Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 06:53:50 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015851230.532cb9@mired.org>
To:        <k.andiel@web.de>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015837964.c98667@mired.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: USB CD-Writer under FreeBSD

k.andiel@web.de types:
> many thank`s for your answer.

You're welcome. In the future, please leave the reply on -questions as
well. Not only does this mean the answers are archived for future
reference, but if I don't know the answer, or give you the wrong
answer, that gives other people a chance to catch it.

> "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015837964.c98667@mired.org> schrieb am 06.03=
.02:
> > k.andiel@web.de types:
> > > how can i manage to add umass support to my burner (HP CD 4 vendo=
r 0x03f0,=3D
> > >  device 0x0307))=3D3F
> > Figure out why it isn't being recognized as a umass device, and fix=

> > /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/umass.c to recognize it. Then use "diff -u" to=

> > generate a patch file, and submit it as a PR so that after it's
> > commited, you can upgrade and still have it work.
> exactly that=B4s teh problem: i don=B4t kow why! i have checked umass=
.c, but did not find out where to patch it.=20
> can you give me a hint ?

The two routines to look through are USB_ATTACH, which decides if your
device supports a usable subset of the protocols that umass needs, and
then umass_match_proto, which uses the vendor ID to figure out which
protocols to use.

> in addition i tried to change the definition files of known devices b=
y adding mine but this had no effect.=20

Second hint: the device files don't do much useful. Their primary
purpose is to provide names for devices that don't follow the spec so
the failure can be dealt with.

> > > Another Problem with not that priority is that my notebook does n=
ot power =3D
> > > off when i halt the system. but that=3DB4s the next problem
> > You need to enable apm in the kernel
> it is enabled  :-(

Are yo sure? The default line in GENERIC has it disabled. Assuming
that's right, you also have to set apm_enable in /etc/rc.conf, or run
apm -e enable as root. You don't have to start apmd, though.

--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09=09http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more inform=