Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:26:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Gavin=20Kenny?= <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Accessing another machines printer

Hi,

I have a small network of 5 machines. I have looked up
my printer to the parrallel port of one of them
(called webby - yes it's a web server) and can print
from that machine only using lpr.

The printcap file is:

lp|scps|lj|ps|local printer:\
  :sh:\
  :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
  :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
  :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
  :if=/usr/local/libexec/hpif:

I want to be able to print from any machine in the
network, so I have written the following printcap for
the other machines:

scps|lp|rlp|remote|remote printer
  :sh:\
  :lp=:\
  :rm=webby:\
  :rp=scps:\
  :sd=/var/spool/output/printing:\
  :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

I start up the deamon using lpd and then try to print
using lpr. No error is reported but nothing happens.

Looking at the queue on the remote machine I get:

"waiting for queue to be enabled on webby"
and then I see the job sitting in the queue. The print
job doesan't get transferred to webby.

I've tried lpc enable and lpc start but these don't
solve the problem.

HELP I'm running out of ideas!!

Gavin