Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 09:13:31 -0700
From:      Brad Jones <brad@kazrak.com>
To:        Scott Gasch <scott@mail.medsp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ioctl for reading raw ATAPI CDDA data

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 11:34:58AM -0700, Scott Gasch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to rip CDDA from an ATAPI cdrom device.  So first I tried
> using cdd from /usr/ports.  No dice, the resulting file is static.
> Next I searched for an alternative and found daex.  Since I'm running
> FreeBSD-4.0-RELEASE the kernel mods the author describes are outdated.
> I modified the daex source to use the CDIOCREADAUDIO ioctl and got
> another program ripping static data from my CDs.

'cdda2wav' now works with ATAPI devices as well; I've had good luck with
it.  However, the problem with 'cdd', in my experience, was that it was
returning data in the wrong byte order.  'sox -x' fixed it for me.

> Next I thought the CDROM device simply didn't support the function so
> I replaced it with a CDROM I know can rip (it does in Windows).  Still
> the static...
>
> So my question is -- does anyone have any experience with the above
> ioctl call?  Is the buffer in some format other than the raw data
> format?  Are there some other bits in there?  Why is it coming back
> full of static instead of music?  Does anyone know a better ripping
> tool?  Does cdd work on your BSD box?

Yes, cdd works on my box with ATAPI devices.  Try running your data through
sox or another converter program to byteswap it, and see if that fixes your
problem.

BJ

--
Brad Jones -- brad@kazrak.com
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.