Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:01:21 -0700
From:      "Stephen Hansen" <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Microsoft Intellimice?

[ Oops. Sent this to -newbies first; forgot to change my 'To' after reading
the list charters on the web.... :) ]

    I'm in the process of preparing to install FreeBSD 4.0 (waiting happily
for the cd/handbook to arrive from Walnut), which will be about the third
time i've ended up using it .. In the past i've always ended up reverting to
windows due to duel-booting frustrations.. Now, with two computers, I won't
have that problem.. Whee! Congratulate me. *grin*

    Anyways. The computer i'm installing it on is a 400mhz P2 w/ 128megs of
ram and a 10gig hdd. The graphics card is a STB Velocity. I don't forsee
issues with any of the above, since it ran Mandrake fine for a brief period
(... decided I was curious about all the linux hype, so tried it out..
personal opinion: why bother? :) )

    My one big question is actually sort unimportant sounding: Can I use my
Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer? :-) I /love/ it, dispite the company that
makes it.. I believe wheelmice have support under X, but I couldn't get the
old default mouse to work when I was using X under Mandrake.. and those
Forward/Backwards buttons are rather nice.. though as long as I have my
mouse and my wheel, I'll be happy.

    My understanding is that FreeBSD doesn't support USB mice -- am I right?
If so, it will work with the USB-to-PS/2 converter, I hope? Beyond that --
what features of the mouse will work (or, more importantly, not work? )

    Erm. I'm suddenly thinking that I should be sending this to some X list,
and if its offtopic, I apologize, lots.. Just scream and flog and i'll go
send it to someone who's interested. :)

    Thanks in advance for any help.

--Stephen