Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 22:41:02 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Ed Vander Bush <ed@42interactive.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installed it via CDROM but can;t mount it

Ed Vander Bush wrote:

> I just insalled freebsd on my Dell p133 via a NEC 6x CDROM.

	Congrats. :) I've been running freebsd on a dell XPS 90 for 3 years now.
:)

>  When it boots
> it finds the drive one wdc1 and takes forever to look at it and Ig et a
> bunch of atapi statments and then weven an error or two...

	Some of the errors are not unusual. Also, my old atapi CD took a long time
to probe. My new one probes faster, but it still takes longer than my hd.

> /kernel: wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:273/4.21>, removable,iordy

	This means it found your drive, that's why the packages and such work.

> /kernel: atapi1.0: unknown phase
> /kernel: atapi1.0: invalid command phase, ireason=0x3,
> status=51<ready,opdone,check>, error=64<abort>

	These errors look to me like the system is probing your cd to see if it
recognizes certain commands, but it's not responding to them. You can
probably find out exactly what it's doing by booting with the -v flag.

> /kernel: mcd0 not found at 0x300
> /kernel: matcdc0 not found at 0x230
> /kernel: scd0 not found at 0x230

	These mean that you don't have those cd drives. You can disable the probe
in the userconfig kernel configurator thingy when you boot, or better yet,
learn how to customize your own kernel. :) Information about all these
things is in the handbook, available on line or on your CD's.

Good luck,

Doug