Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:57:10 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel dumps [was Re: possible changes from Panzura]

On Jul 10, 2013, at 11:16 AM, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> =
wrote:

> My first  candidates are:

Those sound useful.   Just out of curiosity, however, since we're on the =
topic of kernel dumps:  Has anyone even looked into the notion of an =
emergency fall-back network stack to enable remote kernel panic (or =
system hang) debugging, the way OS X lets you do?  I can't tell you the =
number of times I've NMI'd a Mac and connected to it remotely in a =
scenario where everything was totally wedged and just a couple of =
minutes in kgdb (or now lldb) quickly showed that everything was waiting =
on a specific lock and the problem became manifestly clear.

The feature also lets you scrape a panic'd machine with automation, =
running some kgdb scripts against it to glean useful information for =
later analysis vs having to have someone schlep the dump image manually =
to triage.  It's going to be damn hard to live without this now, and if =
someone else isn't working on it, that's good to know too!

- Jordan