Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:23:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, tlambert@primenet.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New LINT options: what is VM coloring?

> For two level caches, the coloring should work fine.  However, it is
> problematical with 3-level alpha caches.  My guess is that one would
> want to page-color for the 2nd and 3rd level caches, but of course,
> you might want to experiment.  It is critical to color for the larger
> cache.  To color for all three caches, you could just expand the
> coloring scheme in FreeBSD.  I don't know if it is the right approach
> though.

The Digital literature suggests for small enough working sets, putting
the entire working set into L1 cache and keeping it there.  I don't
know how you would ensure this if you were allowing interrupts and
drivers to run, except to minimize the use of seperate stacks as
much as possible, and reduce the amount of auto data usage and function
call depth for interrupt code as much as possible.

The method they state they use in order to do this is "page coloring"
of the L1 cache.

This is from the Digitasl UNIX 2.0 release notes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.