Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 10:35:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Specs on a Hitachi CM2085me monitor anybody ??

> > V&H-sync rates in a limited fashion, but getting more than 80
> > chars across is not among that. I is possible to do *some*
> > textmodes whith changed V&H-sync rates to fit a "wierd"
> > monitor, but thats all...
>
> > Sorry for those extended modes, no luck...
>
> 	I didn't have 132x60 in mind,  just plain 80x25  so I don't have to
> 	keep switching VGA  plugs in the back of  the box (at over  100 MHz
> 	bandwitdh, VGA switches are useles unless they're digital, and then
> 	they're *very* expensive).
>
> 	But as Terry pointed out (and the problem was  also brought up last
> 	time), any user land stuff would  just blow away  and be useless in
> 	kernel debugging (resetting the VGA board).

Hmm, in the version of syscons that I'm currently working on there is
support for adding a new ioctl via a LKM, that can be used to load
special code to modify you timing. Also If you can tell me what
H&V-sync your monitor can handle, I can probably do a small patch
to the mode setting code that will allow you to use your monitor
for std modes ie 80x25, 80x50 etc...
Just remember that it s a hack, and nothing that I will admit to
have done :)

> 	Wish I could  find  a high  IRQ  serial card for  a  serial console
> 	*sigh* :-)

Naw, we wouldn't have you to do that ...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.