Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:00:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yest one more: devel/crosssco

On 31-Mar-98 Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> But for the case of -current, which is a moving target, also too
> necessary.
> Again, stay up to date or get out of the business of testing -current.
> It's very very simple. :-)

I do.  CVSup every day.  Make buildworld every day.  Make installworld on
test machine everyday.  Make installworld on main server when regression
testing on test machine passes.  Some problems can only be discovered in
production machines.  I think this is reasonable.

Today I learned (I still have to prove it to myself :-) that ports
can/should only build on a virgin install.

> Probably about the time that I suggested a 3.0 install and you pushed
> back, leading me to believe that you didn't want to reinstall the box
> and hadn't at any recent point.  Since you say your last install is
> from December 9th, that's also reasonably true even if not 2.2.x. :-)

Last install-from-scratch. Last make world is of this morning.

> And again, simply saying "they barf" is not what's needed here -
> simply identifying build failures in a 1300 port collection now
> entails too much work being displaced onto someone else's shoulders to
> constitute any reasonable attempt at load-sharing.  What we need these
> days are much more precise "it failed _because_ ..." reports if it's
> your goal to actually accomplish anything through such testing.

I agree.  The way I viewed it (obviously mistaken here) is that a developer
of a package can look at the output and suggest a course of action.
Instead I got a (useful) lecture on how out of date my system is.

I am out of the ports testing business.