Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 10:42:51 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Hetzels@aol.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

At 8:14 AM -0500 10/5/97, Hetzels@aol.com wrote:
>We are having a discussion in STABLE about how best to track each persons
>position in CVS, & CTM.  Basically, We would like to be able to do a
>
>uname -r
>
>which will result in the message:
>
>FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE-AB
>
>or
>
>FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE (0360)

I think that this is a very good idea. I would delete the "-STABLE"
portion of the label. "FreeBSD 2.2 (0360)" conveys the same info, is shorter
and eliminates some of the confusion. For the RELEASES, I would use
"FreeBSD 2.2.0", "FreeBSD 2.2.5", etc.

>I suggested using the .ctm_status file as a permant part of the source tree,
>because it does produce a # every so often during the day.

Being partial to ctm, I like this also. However, that would require that the
various distribution schemes take their "feed" from the ctm stream. Sascha
is already running a cvsup server in this mode and the others could do
likewise.

Alternatively, a distribution ID could be attached at an earlier "choke point"
in the distribution stream.  I believe that, except for those who have commit
privledges to the master cvs tree, the rest of us get a feed that is
derived from a periodic snapshot of the master tree. I think that the ID should
be inserted at that point. Since I suspect that this is done many times a day,
the ID might need to be derived from the time of the transfer.

>Could you please advise on how often the CTM deltas are created?

The master ctm generator runs every 8 hours. On each cycle, it generates
an update for the cvs tree and a source distribution. The present schedule
alternates between "current" and "2.2". As a result, each of those get
checked every 16 hours. (1.5 times per day). The "2.1" distribution gets
one slot on Sunday. However, you must remember that a delta is not generated
unless there is a change. As a result, there are occasions where no delta is
generated and the sequence number is deferred to a later run.

Times per week  -- Distribution
21			cvs
10			2.2, current, ports
1			2.1

>>Is there a cron job that checks the sources for changes since the last CTM
>> update,  and if there is a change, create a new .ctm_status file, and roll
>> a CTM delta.
Yes.
>> How often does such a job check the source tree? (Every couple of Hours?)
See above.

Richard Wackerbarth