Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 08:42:02 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Dave Gilbert <gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Parallel fsck

At 01:39 PM 3/29/97 +0000, Dave Gilbert wrote:
>  On our FreeBSD (2.2-somewhere between GAMMA and release) server
>the fsck likes to do each partition separatly.  Now since there
>is 16GB of disc it would be really nice if it could overlap some
>of the fsck'ing of hte three discs.  One disc is EIDE and the other
>two are SCSI on an Adaptec 2940UW.
>
>  Obviously I don't want it to do multiple partitions on the same disc
>in parallel - what do I have to do? I was going to fiddle with the last
>couple of columns of fstab, but the man page doesn't seem to indicate
>that I should do that.

The way the man page reads it does the / and then spawns and does the rest
of the partitions that will be mounted in parallel.

Whether it is doing only one file system per drive or all at once should
not make a real difference in regards to time, at least I would think.
Especially since this is all that is going on at the time, if booting that is.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990