Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:51:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
Cc:        Brian McGroarty <BMCGROARTY@high-voltage.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a product

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jasper O'Malley wrote:

> FWIW, FreeBSD can't use the name UNIX anywhere. It's a trademark owned by
> the X/Open Group (unless they've sold it to someone else at this point).
> To use the name, an operating system needs to meet some arbitrary standard
> of what a "UNIX" is, and the distributors need to pay an obscene licensing
> fee.

This would be better directed at -hackers, but here goes anyway.

NetBSD has done a bit more than FreeBSD in adding Unix98 compatability.
In userland, where I have looked, they have nl, asa, recently (like two
weeks ago) they added link and unlink.  There are others I cannot think
of right now.  Many of the missing utilities are very simple.  line(1)
could be implemented in about ten minutes.  I'm sure there are issues
with utilities that are already implemented (sum's behaviour would have
to reverse).  How difficult would it be (technically) to make FreeBSD
Unix98 compatable?[1]

There was some talk recently about Linux being certified.  Who was paying
for it then?  Could the Open Group be coerced into cutting FreeBSD a break
on the monetary cost as it is a non-profit (FreeBSD, Inc is non-profit,
no?)?  Would anyone who uses FreeBSD (Apple, Walnut Creek, Whistle (now
IBM?), people who sell products based on FreeBSD)) be willing to
contribute financially directly toward this goal?

It seems to me that it is worth the technical effort (and maybe even some
money) to get the right to use the "UNIX" brand name.

Jamie

[1] It occurs to me that any places where FreeBSD and Unix 98 conflict,
the behaviour should be set via an environment option, but this is
obvious.