Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:30:19 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>, evablunted@earthling.net ("Langa Kentane")
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best tape drive to buy

>The only problem is that DDS3's require a SCSI controller, and they are still
>expensive, at around $900 or so the last time I looked.  Can't justify
that for
>my home machine :-(. I'm looking at the NS-20 tape drives, which are based on
>Travan technology. They are cheap,  around $300-$350, the tapes hold 10 gigs
>uncompressed, but -- the tapes also cost $30-$35 apiece.
>
>The OnStreams will one day be good for home backup, but for the moment they
>don't have a driver :-(.

I have given up on Travan tapes.  I have found them to be error prone
compared to DAT tapes, and generally of 'cheap' quality (the drives that
is).  Plus you end up paying for it in the end with having to get
replacement tapes often (which as you point out are expensive), or the tape
drives just die at an early age.  Our old Sony DAT drive lasted almost 3yrs
of heavy use before we decided to give it up before it gave up on us.  I
have had 3 out of 8 or 9 travan drives die or show siginficant problems
within a year. YMMV of course....

	---Mike