Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:02:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.0.1

Well.. It seems that XFree86-4.0.1 is not without bugs.

I've been using my home miata more intensely these days, and noticed
that the X server still has problems.  About 1/3 of the time, the X
server will lock solid & will be unkillable unless you give it a kill
-9, and then it doesn't release the console & you cannot restart X.
When this is happening, its in a tight CPU bound loop, and its not
making any system calls (according to ktrace).

The other 2/3 of the time, it gets into a funky state where the screen
is not being properly refreshed, but you can at least exit from it ;-)

These feel like compiler bugs.

I noticed that the XFree86-4 port is patching the OptimizedCDebugFlags
to be ''.   This reminded me of the problem that I diagnosed a few
months ago where a person had a massively unstable system due to his
setting CFLAGS to '-pipe' in /etc/make.conf (thereby omitting -O).

I'm rebuilding XFree86-4 right now with OptimizedCDebugFlags set to -O
to see if it improves things..

Drew