Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:13:47 -0500
From:      Allen <Unix.Hacker@comcast.net>
To:        Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port, Packages, and Patching, Upgrading

On 12/20/2011 6:16 AM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
*SNIP*
> about FVWM2 not working on your other FreeBSD install...
> i'm not sure how you set up your X11 system and your window manager, but
> this section of the handbook, Chapter 6 The X Window System, has
> instructions for setting up a desktop environment as well as a window
> manager of your choice; it's a matter of specifying the path to the
> executable for your window manager either in $HOME/.xsession or
> in $HOME/.xinitrc depending on whether you use XDM or some other display
> manager;

Hello,

I personally don't bother to set up X; When I install FreeBSD, once I
reboot into the new system, I install KDM, and GDM, and then just load
that, and it works fine right out of the box, so I don't bother screwing
with what isn't broken. I have KDM I've been using mostly as of late,
and most of the Window Managers I have installed show up just fine, and
the original FVWM shows up as well, but for some reason, FVWM2 won't
lol. It's annoying me because I like that one more.

I'm a weird guy in terms of Window Managers and Desktop Environments; I
use, all the time mind you; KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment (Both .16 and .17)
and then, I use Fluxbox, OpenBox, HackedBox, Blackbox, Window Maker,
Afterstep, FVWM, FVWM2, FVWM-95, FVWM-Crystal, XFCE, XFCE4, Phluid, TWM,
MWM, VTWM, and.... Actually, there's more, but you get the idea.

Basically, I like being able to log out, and log back in, and have my
screen look totally different from how it did before. Sometimes I want
speed and I go for E and Window Maker and the FVWM based ones.
Sometimes, I want KDE and Gnome, so, I install them all, and use them all.

But I don't configure X at all. Every machine I have FreeBSD on, has not
ever gone through a Configuration of X. I just type KDM or GDM, let it
load, it works right the first time, and I log in.

> sasha

-Allen