Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 1995 16:51:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: S3 Server dumps core

> I'm using 2.0.5-Snap 6/22, and the S3 still dumps core if and only if I
> do this:
>
> 1) Switch from xdm to a text screen.

Have you tried eliminating xdm from the equation and seeing if the
server still dumps core?  I have never had XF86_S3 dump on me, but
then I don't use xdm.  I'd like to know if this has anything to do
with it.

> One other problem.... In the login window, Xconsole sometimes appears and
> then closes by itself.  I have seen this happen on a 386-40, and also
> this 486-100.

Is /dev/console owned by you?  It needs to be for xconsole or `xterm -C'
to work.  /etc/fbtab is a good way of making that happen automatically
if it's not - do a man fbtab for details.

					Jordan