Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:40:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/38801: sasl_apop_patch.gz breaks LOGIN mech (SMTP AUTH)

The following reply was made to PR ports/38801; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To: "Seva Gluschenko" <gvs@rinet.ru>,
	<FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: <noc@rinet.ru>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:38:23 -0500

 From: "Seva Gluschenko" <gvs@rinet.ru>
 > making Cyrus SASL library (used for SMTP AUTH) from ports results
 > to non-working LOGIN authentication mechanism. Experiments show this
 > situation to be result of sasl_apop_patch application.

 > N.B.: It wasn't tested against pwcheck method, only with SaslDB.
 > Try every MUA which is capable of LOGIN authentication (e.g. MSOE 5.5
 > and higher). Sendmail will continuously re-request password, strings
 > in maillog will look like
 >
 > Jun  1 20:37:39 kolokol sm-mta[26436]: g51GbdVS026436: demo.rinet.ru
 > [195.54.192.69] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection
 > to MTA

 I looked into this problem further, and still can't get the original problem
 to occur with the apop patch (No pwcheck or saslauthd1 daemons running and
 Sendmail.conf's pwcheck_method set to sasldb).

 The only problem I had was a mismatch between the servers 'hostname' and
 DNS.  The problem is that saslpasswd uses `hostname` found on the system for
 the default realm.  While sendmail does a DNS lookup to determine the
 hostname of the mail server, and then uses it for the SASL realm name.  On
 my test system I had 'hostname' and DNS names in different cases:

     hostname        - Test.domain.org
     DNS Lookup  -  TEST.domain.org

 # sasldblistusers
 user: testuser realm: Test.domain.org mech: PLAIN
 user: testuser realm: Test.domain.org mech: CRAM-MD5
 user: testuser realm: Test.domain.org mech: PLAIN-APOP
 user: testuser realm: Test.domain.org mech: DIGEST-MD5

 With the realm set to "Test.domain.org", sendmail would fail to authenticate
 the user (OE would ask for username and password repeatedly), and sendmail
 would report:

 Aug 29 21:41:36 Test sm-mta[8111]: g7U2faWr008111: wrkstation.domain.org
 [10.0.0.2] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

 Using saslpasswd's domain option (-u), to first remove and then reenter the
 "testuser":

     saslpasswd -d -u Test.domain.org testuser
     saslpasswd -c -u TEST.domain.org testuser

 allowed OE to login (changing DNS would also have worked).

 I also tested the SASL library without the APOP patch and had the same
 problem due to mismatched realms between sendmail and the sasldb database.

 I don't know why you had success with the removal of the APOP patch, unless
 someone had changed the case of the DNS entry for the server, while you were
 testing.

 If you could setup a test server, give it another try with the APOP patch
 and let us know the results.

 Scot W. Hetzel