Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 08:43:32 +0200
From:      "Ari Suutari" <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        "Dominick LaTrappe" <seraf@2600.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: filtering ipsec traffic (fwd)

Hi,

> On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Ari Suutari wrote:
> >     But what if we are running in IPsec tunnel mode ?
>
> Then there's no problem.  Please read the original post.

    I thought that I read it but maybe I didn't understand.

> > Last time I tried that adding on 'ipfw pass any from 192.168.x.x .....'
> > also allowed non-ipsec traffic between these nodes.
>
> Of course, because you didn't specify any particular protocol in the rule.

    Hmmm (I tested this with FreeBSD 4.1). I didn't want any protocol
    limitation between VPN sites, since they trust each other (they
    are just different offices in same company). I just wanted that
    between IPsec tunnel gateways only esp is allowed and there
    are no limitations betwen VPN sites *EXCEPT* that packets
    must be coming through IPsec tunnel. So what I was missing
    is something like

    ipfw pass any from 192.168.x.x to .... via this-ipsec-tunnel

    I am able to configure system this way when using pipsecd, since
    it passes traffic coming from tunnel to tunX device.

> > This is a security hole, which allows someone to
> > send packets with spoofed source address to your system.
>
> IP spoofing is a routing issue, totally irrelevant to this thread.

    The spoofing was only one problem that comes to my mind
    with this. The real problem is that I wasn't able to force use
    of IPsec with ipfw + kame.

        Ari S.