Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:53:55 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        mingo lu <freebiebsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make questions ...

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 09:10:35AM -0700, mingo lu wrote:

> I have two versions of "makes". One came with the 4.5 CD
> (/usr/bin/make) and anothr one is gnu make
> (/usr/local/bin/make). The default one, (PATH=/usr/local/bin) is gnu
> make.
>
> The problem here is that the kernel compilation would not take gnu
> make (even with command "/usr/bin/make buildkernel
> KERNCONF=MYKERNEL"):
>
> Makefile:117: *** missing separator.  Stop.

BSD make and GNU make are very different animals, as you've found out.
The whole FreeBSD buildworld system depends intimately on BSD make.
Accept no substitutes.

If you can't avoid having gnu make installed as /usr/local/bin/make,
try the following:

  env PATH=/usr/bin:${PATH} make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

> I have to uninstall the gun make in order to use thr original make
> to rebuild my kernel.

Quite so.  That's why when you install Gnu make from ports, it gets
installed as /usr/local/bin/gmake Which is really much the best
solution to your problem that I can see.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK