Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 21:13:59 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        Rocky <rockiiieee@yahoo.com>, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Windows recommendation

5/24/2002 8:14:35 PM, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz> wrote:

>On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 03:33:24PM -0700, Rocky wrote:
>
>[...]
>> I tried kde and liked it but i ran into tonnes of
>> issues with dependencies when i tried installing a
>> local version of it in my FreeBSD desktop.  So, i am
>> definitely looking for some software that i don't have
>> to spend a lifetime installing and making it work.
>
>If you install KDE from the ports system (using a pretty recent ports
>tree), all dependencies should resolve themselves automatically.

Jonathan Chen's suggestion to install KDE from ports isn't a bad one.
Something relatively lightweight with a fairly friendly user interface would
be WindowMaker.  Just right-click on the desktop to show a menu,
including a "Run" selection that, as in Windows, will bring up a dialog
allowing you to type the name of any application you want to run.  It's
sufficient by itself or can be installed on top of the "environments" like
KDE or Gnome.

Without KDE or Gnome, you would need a file manager.  A lightweight,
simple standalone one with a fairly friendly look and feel is Rox-Filer.
Opinions on editors can turn into religious wars; the absolute simplest is
ee, which comes with the basic FreeBSD system.  OTOH, ee has few
sophisticated capabilities.  Vi also comes with the base system and is
very powerful but needs to be learned.  Beyond these, I haven't
bothered (well, I did install Emacs and XEmacs, but these are at least as
much environments as editors) - other folks may have
recommendations.

Jud