Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 10:22:01 -0400
From:      speshy@juno.com (Nigel I Phillip)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Unable to complete Installation of FreeBSD

To Whomever can help

I had downloaded the 2.1.7.1 release boot.flp and all the bin/ files for
a basic installation of
FreeBSD.
I am using a Pentium 120mhz;16mb ram; 120mb hdd; cd-rom;
and decided to install under the novice option. The boot process for the
installation went fine, the partitioning and slicing went good.

I encounted problems when i had to enter a user(me) instead of going in
as 'root'.
After entering the infomation i get the message "The pw command exited
with
unexpected status 99"
I clicked okay i and got sent back to the add user/add group dialog.
I changed the options tirelessly even using the hints at the bottom of
the screen.
Same message, i then choose option NO to add new user.

The next problem was at the dialog to enter the system manager's
password.
When i clicked okay instead of a prompt for the password i was taken to
the register
dialog to register FreeBSD.

After all of that when i come to the "make last options" dialog and i
click no
it goes back to the main menu.

It followed the same above process repeatedly and i have been at it for
about 12+ hrs

Any help will be welcomed at this moment

speshy@juno.com