Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:18:41 -0700
From:      Roy Bettle <rbettle@bandserver.com>
To:        "Brooks, Reginald P." <BrooksRP@PWCPEARL.NAVY.MIL>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

As a fellow newbie, please allow me to *strongly suggest* that you save
yourself a few headaches and buy the 4-CD set from Walnut Creek
(http://www.cdrom.com).

I have found, and continue to find, that the manual it comes with - not to
mention the fact that I don't have to figure out an FTP install - is more than
worth the $60 USD or so it costs.

RAB

"Brooks, Reginald P." wrote:

> I have been hearing a little about FreeBSD so I decided to give it try. I
> visited your home page and tried to figure out how to download the OS. Your
> instructions lead from ftp to ftp with list upon list of files to download
> but I could not identify any file that appeared to actually contain the
> basic OS or kernal.
>
> For example.  If I am on the following page,
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable
> which file or files would I download and install to provide the basic OS?
> Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
> Reggie

President, bandServer.com
rbettle@bandserver.com