Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:59:03 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Donald M <treader32@ignmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a dumb ?

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Donald M wrote:

> Thanks for the Help...
> But I have 1 more ?.
>
> --http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ25.html#25--
> It tells me that I should download the files in:
> ==========
> bin/
> manpages/
> compat*/
> doc/
> src/ssys.*
> ==========
> now...
> Will these files be put on a disk so I can run and installation
> program of some sort?

Please Cc: the questions list on any reply.  The more people who
see the question, the more likely your chances of getting a right
answer are =)

I'm assuming you want to install from your Windows partition.  What
you'll want to do is download them to your hard drive.  Where they go
depends on what release you plan on downloading.  For example, if you
download 3.0-RELEASE, put them downloaded files in C:\3.0-RELEASE.
The other releases use C:\FreeBSD (or used to, it's been ages since
I've installed from a DOS partition so that might've changed).

Then all you'll need to do is follow the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html.

A few things to keep in mind..

1) FreeBSD needs to live on it's own partition, which means it won't
run from the same partition as Windows, and you can't run it from
Windows.

2) Read the relevant handbook and FAQ sections.  Most (if not all) of
this is covered there.  Both can be found from http://www.freebsd.org/

3) Read the *.TXT files in the ftp directory of the release you're
going to download.  They're there for a reason =)

4) If you get stuck, send another email to the questions list.  Enough
people read it that you should get an answer.  If no one answers, take
a look at Greg Lehey's "How to get the best results from FreeBSD
questions" at http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

Later,

--
: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	: