Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:08:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning and learning....

	Sounds like you're not doing too bad.  You're trying AND you're
reading.  That an excellent combination, keep up both.  Hopefully this
box is purely for your learning.  If it is then you can try anything and
if it totally hoses your system you won't lose anything.  The worst
you'll have to do is reinstall and there are few times where that is
really necessary.  Just make sure you back up any important data and any
configuration files that you change.  So in that spirit your sendmail blip
is not too bad.
	One idea I have been using lately is to write down each new thing
I learn.  That way I have good notes.  Before that, so many times I'd say,
well I just figured out how to do this two weeks ago, but where did it
say how to...     At the very least I try to write down the URL or
handbook section that contained what I wanted.  You can just write this
into computer files with cat >note1  and then ctrl-d  if you want.  Then
you can learn something like vi, etc.  I happen to write it in a notebook
so I can read it in those few times I am not at my computer.  :)
	The other is have you already gone through all the tutorials on
the FreebSD website?  Try navigating through all the links on the site and
see where they take you.  Also try checking out the articles at these
sites:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/FreeBSD_Basics
http://www.freebsddiary.org
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
http://rute.sourceforge.net
http://www.oreillynet.com/bsd/
http://www.bsdvault.net/
http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/

good luck
							Tim

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Jorge Biquez wrote:

> Hello all.
> I'm sorry if this sound so stupid.
> As I have mentioned in other email I'm "new" to FreeBSD and Unix.
> I'm styding the book "The Complete FreeBSD" for version 3.2 but I
> definitely feel very slow and stupid since I don't understand some very
> very basic things on what's going on , what do you affect, what are the
> tools to use(maybe the problem when you come from other OS like Wxx).
>
> An example of this (don't laugh too loud please)
>
> I'm using a PII 350Mhz, 128RAM,1 Hd 8GB for studying and learning. I wanted
> to upgrade to the latest version of sendmail, so I entered to the
> FreeBSD.ORG site, looked for the port and that pointed me to the site of
> SENDMAIL.ORG. I downloaded the archive of the latest version to my machine
> but then I felt very stupid since I didn't know what else to do, I mean, I
> know I had to compile and install the program but I didn't knew what to do
> (I have to confese that I just wanted to use the command pkg_add to install
> it).... Just to be short after 5 minutes of that my machine wasn't able to
> run sendmail anymore since I did something when I tried to installed that
> cause that the sendmail daemon coul not start.
> Just after reading a lot in the book and the sendmail site my sendmail is
> running but still I'm not sure if it is working that new version .... I

	Just a thought though, why would you want to install a newer
version of sendmail before you learned how to use the one already there?