Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 11:45:02 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limiting bandwidth

In the last episode (Feb 05), Steve Hovey said:
> > > One last question then on a point that isnt clear in my head.
> > >
> > > The traffic I want to limit is gatewayed  ed0 <--> fxp0
> > >
> > > Do the statements/setup below only apply to packets destined for
> > > that interface (to be gated or for it specifically), ignoring all
> > > other packets on that ethernet? (I think all adapters see all
> > > packets, but only accept, deal with those corresponding to their
> > > IP or to be routed no?)
> >
> > If you're asking whether machine B can arbitrarily block packets
> > going from machine A to machine C if they are all on the same hub,
> > the answer
>
> Nope - Two ethernet cards on different wires. Packets passing through
> as a router.

If ipfw didn't filter in that case, it wouldn't be a very good
firewall, would it? :)  If it passes through the computer, you can
filter it with ipfw.  Of course, you can only do certain neat things
(like uid/gid filtering) if the packet's source or destination is on
the ipfw machine.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com