Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:17:04 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard@reallm.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Java <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tomcat locked down

O Bryan Maynard έγραψε στις Jul 13, 2005 :

> I know this is a simple thing. . . ;-)
>
> I installed Tomcat 5.0.30 from the ports and just entered: make install clean.
>
> Tomcat seems to run fine, but i can't do anything with it! My user account
> "Bryan", but Tomcat runs under user "www" so I have to either go to a
> terminal or log into KDE as root to do anything with Tomcat. Aside from being
> annoying, the problem with this is that I've also installed sysdeo tomcat
> plugin for eclipse. When I am logged in a root, I can start, stop, and
> restart Tomcat just fine. But when I'm logged in as Bryan no such luck. I've
> tried running Eclipse under "root", but I get an su error when I try that.

/etc/rc.d, /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ tasks are not to be stopped and started
by anyone. Only root can do this.

> I also cannot drop webapps nto the webapps forder. This is a problem because I
> am using Apache Axis and need to put Axis' stuff (jars and such) in the
> webapps folder. I can't keep switching back and forth between root and Bryan,
> and certainly can't do all my dev work as root!
>
> I know there's a simple solution to all this, I just don't know what it is!
> Thanks for all your help. . .
>
> Bryan

IMO, just try to get a little more familiar with the whole system,
and i am sure you will find all the solutions you need.

In KDE one good way of organizing your workstation is
configuring 2,3,4,etc... virtual desktops.
Then name each desktop after a name that describes
the work done in it.

So you could have an admin virtual desktop (with all xterms as root),
a development desktop (with terms as bryan), an internet desktop
(kmail, mozilla,etc...), and so forth.

Once you get used to it you will find it very handy.
<ctrl><TAB> switches between them.

--
-Achilleus