Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:51:56 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 2600. need help installing

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:56 +1000, Scott Penno wrote:

> I had a similar problem with my Dell Inspiron 2500 in that I couldn't boot
> the GENERIC kernel for whatever reason.  I ended up compiling a customised
> kernel, loading that onto a set of boot floppies and everything was pretty
> smooth from there.

Could you look at the diff between GENERIC and the kernel which
works for you to identify what actually made it work?  This might
help other users.

If it is the disabling "eisa" which helps for Toshiba there
probably is a need for a customized kernel.  I don't remember
the ability to remove bus drivers on the fly.

But if it's some device driver which disturbes or dazes other
hardware in its probe phase for absent hardware it could easily
be disabled by means of "boot -c" and USER_CONFIG.  It is BTW
already recommended procedure to disable every driver you don't
have hardware for, especially the ISA ones which are not fully
Plug and Play capable like PCI is.  This is why the appropriate
menu comes up when booting from install media.  Although I don't
like the fact that the cursor is located on the "leave me alone,
I don't want to fiddle with this stuff" by default.

> > i want to install FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE from cd.
> > i boot the cd (i tried the floppy an the same result) and freezes at this
> > point:
> > pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=08086, dev=0x2483) at 31,3 irq 10
> > pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=08086, dev=0x2485) at 31,5 irq 10
> > pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=08086, dev=0x2486) at 31,6 irq 10 <-- HERE

Did you look these up in a PCI database?  I'm not completely
certain but ISTR the http://www.yourvote.com/pci/ URL.

> > i think irq 10 is "O2 Micro" bus.

Vendor 0x8086 (does it ring a bell?) is Intel.  I suspect this is
some on board component living in the chipset.  Maybe you can
disable the feature in the BIOS or with some Intel tool.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net