Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:17:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kahn <erinf@deadbbs.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with tar.

I realize that the problems are my fault, but I still need some help.

When I tar up the home directories on my server using "zcf" as my
switches the file/directory ownerships are all reset to root:wheel and not
the actual owner. I am untaring these on a different system and have not
yet compiled the master.passwd with all of the user accounts, could that
be the problem? Tar may not be seeing the user accounts active on the
system so it resets the file/directory ownerships?

Thanks,

Erin