Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:04:08 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Unknown hardware address format"

I posted a similiar question to this list and the Security list on
5/28 and didn't get any definitive replies.

Today I am seeing the same message, out of the blue, in my syslog and
echoed to console (4.3-STABLE):

	io /kernel: arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0800)

I searched the mailing list archives to no avail, but ran across some
stuff on altavista, apparently 0800 matches both IP and arp protocol
numbers, here is apparently some kernel code that generates this
message (if_ether.c), from the URL below:

	http://minnie.tuhs.org/FreeBSD-srctree/newsrc/netinet/if_ether.c.html

----------------- Begin code snippet --------------------
if (ntohs(ar->ar_hrd) != ARPHRD_ETHER
    && ntohs(ar->ar_hrd) != ARPHRD_IEEE802) {
log(LOG_ERR,
    "arp: unknown hardware address format (0x%2D)\n",
    (unsigned char *)&ar->ar_hrd, "");
m_freem(m);
continue;
}

I keep worrying it may be a security breach or something, or maybe a
piece of failing network hardware.  I'd rather not join one of the
kernel lists just to ask this question, so if anyone is a kernel/net
hacker or would like to forward it to one, i'd appreciate it..

Thx,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium