Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:09:00 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making A FreeBSD CD-ROM

In message <18799.905470572@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
} > [ redirected to -chat; this doesn't belong in -questions ]
}
} Then why did you leave -questions in the cc line? :-)

So that anyone reading it in -questions who cared could follow it to -chat.

[ ... ]

} > who haven't bothered to try to help themselves.  I find it much more produc
} ti
} ve
} > to reply in private to them suggesting places they might look for prelimina
} ry
} > information than fuming over the whole thing for each such message that com
} es
} > by.  Some people are repeat offenders; their mail gets sent to the bin and
}
} Heh.  I might note that I've also found an even more productive method
} since I get too many of these to even manage a short reply now: Just
} whap `delete'.  Most folks who personally query me only to get no
} response at all do, amazingly enough, either figure it out for
} themselves shortly thereafter or figure out where to get that
} kind of information without hassling somebody directly in email. :-)

Yes, that was another of my proposed solutions, and is my most common response
to such messages as well :)

A point which I didn't stress particularly hard in my first response is
that this is in some ways analogous to unsolicited email - often times the
amount of pain caused by people quoting the entire offending message and
adding a "clever" retort is orders of magnitude greater than that of the
original unwanted message.  Those people are as much (if not more) a part
of the problem than are the people they're complaining about.  I could go
on, but it might cause someone's irony-o-meter to explode, so I'll shut up
for a while instead.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com