Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 05:08:56 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.cx>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup and checkout problems

Mark Huizer wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 12:51:36AM -0400, dafishe4 wrote:
> > i'm having some trouble using cvsup to update my version of freebsd to 4.1.
> > i created a cvsuptfile: src-cvsupfile
> > *default tag=RELENG_4
> > *default release=cvs
> > *default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
> > *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> > *default prefix=/usr/cvsuproot
> > *default delete
> > *default use-rel-suffix
> > *default compress
> > src-all
> >
> > next i ran: cvsup -g -L2 /usr/local/etc/cvsup/src-cvsupfile
> > this appeared to work fine...however i didn't get exactly what i expected.
> > none of the files in /usr/cvsuproot/src end in ,v.
> That's right, you cvsup'ed with tag RELENG_4 so you got the checkedout
> 4.-stable sources. tag=. will give you the CVS tree

Actually, I think tag=. will give you the current tree. no
"tag=" line at all will give you the entire cvs tree, all
versions since Stonehenge included, and files ending in ',v',
which seems to be what you want, right? If all you want is a
fresh stable src tree, you need not fetch the cvs tree first,
and the tag is correct. This is what you did, as Mark also
pointed out.

Check /usr/share/examples/cvsup/*-supfile files for more
details.

--
Palle